Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Brook Herren

Steve was my likemindedly unconventional senior prom date (the guy that could appreciate my suggestion/preference of a blue blazin' 1972 Ford pickup with lawn chairs and cooler of beer in the back over a dime-a-dozen limo rental--his Mom quickly vetoed that though, and made him "act the gentleman" and arrive in higher style), a buddy from AP US Gov class, (and if memory serves me correctly) #10 on the football team (it's hard to see/remember jersey numbers from way up in the band nerd section where I was), and as one of the few guys listening to them at the time, my personal introduct-or to Rage Against the Machine; Sherra, his mother, was one of Mom's favorite "teacher friends" (as teachers like to call each other) and quite possibly one of the best (and nicest) kindergarten instructors in GA, 2004-2005 Teacher of the Year, and our families went to church together (N. Fayetter UMC). I kept track of his UGA progress/interests, world-wide adventures, new tattoos, and latest volunteer efforts he attacked with wild abandon through updates with his mom at church whenever I made it home; she was always so good to ask my parents about the rip-roarin' life and times of me as well (...I'm unfortunately much less exciting than Steve, even compared to one of his slow days). Sherra and Steve were two of the most incredible, considerate, caring, outgoing, generous people I had the good luck to meet, they had such a widespread and genuine impact on such a vast/diverse group of people, they'll certainly (and that's an extreme understatement) be missed, but more importantly, both made such wonderful, personal impressions on so many people, they'll also be eternally well-thought of and appreciated. -KBH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home